Finally.......Forever a Family

Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Russia Update

Hi everyone!!!



Isabelle greeted Stacey (my cousin) and I warmly on Sunday afternoon. Our flights (except a couple hiccups) and our road trip to the orphanage went well. Everything (at that point) that I warned Stacey about went just the opposite of my warning (like the Moscow customs line that's usually VERY hard to get through and long, had no line at all basically, though they were still slow and I was the 2nd to last to get through...........:):):) ).



The road trip back from the orphanage was a bear though. It took us at least an extra hour to get back to the city and hotel. That night we tried to feed her, but she wouldn't eat. We couldn't figure out the formula/baby food combinations, but tried. I figured she was just tired and put her to bed. A few hours later she was up again and still wouldn't eat. I got concerned and tried to call our translator, but her phone number wasn't available. The next morning she still would not eat, though she was VERY hungry and fussy by then. So, I tried to use a a spoon with the baby food (like we do in the States) and she was so hungry that she let me do that for a little bit. We finally figured out that it was possibly the nipple on the bottles that was bothering her. She wouldn't even let me put the bottle in her mouth, though she would look at it longingly.



We headed to the store and got some more bottles and a couple other small items and went back to try it out. She was still apprehensive, but "aunt" Stacey held her arms and made her try it. She wasn't fussy very long at that point. I think she'd just got to the point where she didn't trust the nipples and that's why she wouldn't try out the new ones. The American bottles are not what she's used to, and the Russian ones don't touch her cleft palate the same way. Up to this point we hadn't seen any bm, but thanks to Whitney (Stacey's sister in Colorado) we knew we were ok with just the formula for now (she won't eat the babyfood unless we mix it somehow with the formula).



Last night she woke up again late (but I was up anyway) and she went back to sleep laying on top of me, then beside me..........................from which point I eventually was able to move her into the playpen. She seems to be bonding very well to me AND to Stacey. I think the real test will be when we see her around others (esp. women) and if she'll cling to me rather than just going off with anyone.


Today (Tuesday) she is an absolute pistol. I was concerned yesterday because she was being so quiet in her crib. I was concerned that she'd learned not to cry because it did her no good. Well, she's quite over that!!!! She's not only crying, but babbling up a storm. It's hard to get her to nap on the orphanages schedule.................but she's finally down for a little right now.



We head back to Moscow in a couple hours. All of our paperwork here is done (as of today). Tomorrow I get to hear her full lung capacity at the dr. office..........yuck! Then Thursday we are at the US Consulate and Friday at the Russian Embassy..............wow, I sure am going to be well versed at these government things now. We're in Moscow til Sunday morning and will be back home in the evening Sunday.



I miss everyone and hope to hear things are going well.


Terri for the Casebier's
Forever Family Day 10/09/2007

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah for your family! So happy that you have your dear girl. Hope the feeding gets easier.

Kelly and Matt said...

Hey Mom -I bet that has a real nice ring in your ears ;o) So happy to read that all is going well and that you finally have your sweet baby. Can't wait to see your pictures! Praying the remainder of your trip goes smoothly :o)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!!! I know you are excited. You'll be home before you know it. I can't wait to see pictures of your family together again.

Karen (your IFS friend:-)

Pamela Askew said...

Terri,
Congratulations! You seem to be adjusting very well with Isabelle! Glad you have worked things out with her eating. Many blessings to you... we're praying for you and Isabelle to bond well together.

Tracy said...

Hooray! I can't believe we are both moms!!! It seemed like we would be waiting forever, but now our dear ones are in our arms:) She is so pretty! I am praying the rest of the trip goes smoothly and quickly, and that you will be home before you know it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Terri, I had followed your link to this blog a few months ago but a shortage of time had kept me from reading it. But today for some reason I was scrolling through my bookmarks and ended up here. I can't express how moved I am to hear your story and how grateful I am that you chose to share it with those of us still waiting. I am so happy that this part is over for you and now you get to be Mom. with love and prayers for your entire family ~ C.C.

Anonymous said...

Yes! I cannot tell you how happy I am for you and Gary. I know how long you have waited for this moment in your life. Sending you hugs to you and your family :) Praying for a safe travel home. Give us a call when you get a chance. Love you sis!!!
Seattle Beaches.

Karmen and Greg said...

Congratulations you guys! What a beautiful daughter you have ... you're a family! I'm so happy for you!

Pamela Askew said...

I know you must be CRAZY busy, but just wanted to say I was thinking of you and praying that all is well with you.... drop us a line whenever you have a minute :)

Kiy said...

I can't believe I missed this! I have been thinking about you, but life got crazy and I didn't get back. Are you home yet? AR you gloriously happy?

/hugs!!!!

Kiy